castle
Caisleán an Chairthe
genitive: Chaisleán an Chairthe
non-validated name
(Irish)
Castle Car
(English)

Glossary

English castle

Explanatory note

Centrepoint

54.3183, -8.25114 latitude, longitude
Irish Grid (with letter)
Computing...
Irish Grid (without letter)
Computing...
Irish Transverse Mercator (ITM)
Computing...

Archival records

scanned image scanned image scanned image

Historical references

"Arch. Inventory: Rath. On a slight rise on the floor of Glencar valley (68). Tower house. ‘Castle Car (in Ruins).’ On rock outcrop on a gentle S-facing slope in Glencar valley. There is a reference to the capture of the O’Rourke castle of Carr in 1487, which records the earliest use of guns in Ireland. In 1621-2 Tiarnan Mac Owen O’Rourke received a grand of 1500 acres as the Manor of Carra and he may have refurbished the site (206). "
Nóta
Onom: al. Baile Uí Ruairc
TAB
n/a
Pinkman "Castletown: Baile-an-Chaisleáin = Townland of O’Ruairc’s Castle. The Caisleán was called O’Rourke’s Castle. Ballyorourke. "
Nóta
n/a
"• “…the barony of Dromaheare, in which is the country called Brenny O’Rourke, O’Rourke’s ancient castle having fifty or sixty quarters of land lying about it called Canarvy. This barony is most champaign ground and the best land in all the country. The baribt if Roselougher, McGlannough’s country. A fast country full of bogs and woods. And the Carrhy, Owen O’Rourke’s country, called the O’Rourkes of the Carrhy, a champaign and very fruitful” (CSPI, 1588-92, 464). "
Nóta
1487
Caislén an cairthe
ARÉ Leathanach: IV, 1148
1536
Caislen an cairthe
ALC Imleabhar: II, Leathanach: 302
1536
Caislen an Chairthi
AConn. Leathanach: 698
1536
Caislén an chairthe
ARÉ Leathanach: V, 1434
1591–2
Carrhy
CSPI Imleabhar: IV, Leathanach: 464
1608
Castlecarrhu
Inq.(Li)
1622
Manor of Castle Carrha
CPR Leathanach: 536b
1659
Castlecaragh
Cen. Leathanach: 568
1802
Castle Car
Stat. Survey (Li) Leathanach: 92
1817
[Car Castle]
Larkin
1836
"LSO: In the Townland of Castletown in this Glen, are the ruins of an old Castle called Caisleán na Chairthe. Tradition says it was built by O’Rourke, Chief of Breffney (130-131/256-7). Caislen an Chairthe (AFM) This castle was taken by O’Donnell in 1487. It was then the residence of O’Rourke. The name signifies Castle of the Rock and has derived that name from a very remarkable cliff in a valley in which it stands close to it. It is now Anglicised Castle Car and lies in the Townland of Castletown in the Valley of Glen Car, and in the west of the Parish of Killasnet. It is still called Caisleán an Chartha by the Irish (110/226). "
LSO
1836
Castle Car
"…in the townland of Castletown."
Situation:AL
1836
Castle Car
OD:AL
1836
"Caislean a chartha, 'castle of the rock'"
dhá spota ós cionn an 'n'
dúch:AL
1836
Caislean a chairthe
"Duald Mc Fibris"
ARÉ:AL
1836
Caislean a chartha
"Built by O'Rourke."
pl:AL
1836
Castle Car
"an English name"
Rec. Name:AL

Please note: Some of the documentation from the archives of the Placenames Branch is available here. It indicates the range of research contributions undertaken by the Branch on this placename over the years. It may not constitute a complete record, and evidence may not be sequenced on the basis of validity. It is on this basis that this material is made available to the public.

Archival and research material provided on this site may be used, subject to acknowledgement. Issues regarding republication or other permissions or copyright should be addressed to logainm@dcu.ie.