An Chluain
genitive: na Cluana
(Irish)
Cloone
(English)

Glossary

cluain, cluaine
English meadow, pasture

Centrepoint

53.945, -7.78597 latitude, longitude
Irish Grid (with letter)
Computing...
Irish Grid (without letter)
Computing...
Irish Transverse Mercator (ITM)
Computing...

Historical references

kluːn
Nóta
Nóta
"Cf: Ca, Cl, Co, FM, Ga, Ci, Lo, ME, RC Mu, PL, Lm: Na hAcraí "
Nóta
n/a
"Pinkman: Na h-Acraí = The Acres Acres is the English for the Irish plural of Acra, an acre, a division of land. Acra does not seem to be of Irish origin; it si likely a substitute for some older form. Keating says that “the acre of Irish measure is twice or thrice greater than the acre of the present foreign measure.” By the latter he means, very probably, the plantation acre, which was, in turn, greater than the statue acre in the ration 196: 121. The Irish acre seems to have varied in extent depending on the nature of the soil and the quantity of livestock that it could support. We may infer as much from the expression “twice or thrice greater.” There are four townlands in Co. Leitrim named Acres "
Nóta
n/a
“Near the river Clone, in the barony of Mohill, Saint Frioch, or Froech, about the year 570, founded an abbey, at Cluamconmacne, in the territory of Muintereoluis, and county of Leitrim, which was formerly in great repute. The founder is also the patron of the house, which originally was called Cluancholluing. It is now known by the name of Clone.” (Stat. Survey, 101)
Nóta
n/a
"“Some Place Names in Co. Leitrim.” Pinkman, Journal of the Ardagh and Clonmacnoise Antiquarian Society Iml. II, Uimh. 8, 1942 “The place is called Cluain Conmaicne by the Four Masters…[The Breifney sept was known as the Conmaicne-Magh-Réin. This term was afterwards used to denote the tribe and the tribe lands of the O’Rourkes]” (39). “Cloone was, also, called Cluain-na-geaiseal – of the cashels or stone forts” (39). “…in the martyrology of Tallagh the place is called Cluain-Cullaing (or Collaing) “Cruimther Fraoch of Cluain Cullaing” (39-40) “A monastery was erected in Cloone in the 6th century by St. Fraoch or Fregius, and from him the place was often called Cloone of Cruimhthir (Presbyter) Fraoch” (40)."
Nóta
n/a
" “Cluayn – Cloone, a parish partly in the bar. of Carrigallen, but chiefly in that of Mohill, co. Leitrim. The village of Cloone, anciently called Cluain Conmhaicne is in the bar. of Mohill. St. Cruimther Fraech (now locally pronounced Cruffer Ree, says O’Donovan) founded a monastery there in the 6th century, but no trace of it is now to be seen.” (Ann. Ult, fo-nóta, 157) ."
Nóta
Féach nóta lch 183, Ann. Ult., 1522.
Nóta
n/a
a ccomhfhoccus Cluana Conmaicne
Betha Berach
BNE Leathanach: 26, Alt: 16
800/830c
Clúain Cullaig, Crumthir Fraech ó
19 Nollaig
Mart. Tall. Leathanach: 87
1100c
Crumthir Fraech Cluana Conmaicne
CGSH Leathanach: 25, Alt: 149
1101
airchindeach Cluana Conmhaicne
ARÉ Imleabhar: 2, Leathanach: 966
1170c
Fraech o Chluain Collaing (gluais)
20 Nollaig
FGorm. Leathanach: 242
1253
Cluain Conmaicne, Conmaicni
AConn. Leathanach: 108-110, Alt: 13
1254
i Cluain Conmaicnig
AConn. Leathanach: 110, Alt: 11
1373
Maighistir Niocól Mag techeadain oifficel Cluana
ARÉ Imleabhar: 4, Leathanach: 658
1384
comurba Cluana, Pol Mag Tethechan
AConn. Leathanach: 350, Alt: 8
1425
Cluayn
Ann. Ult. Leathanach: 157, 159
1473-4
Sancti Fregi de Cluain
Ann. Ult. Leathanach: 165
1473
sancti Fregide de Cluain
CPL Imleabhar: 13, Leathanach: 344
1516c
co Cluain
Bk. Fen. Leathanach: 202, 204
1519
Comorba Cluana Conmaicne
'cenn oinigh 7 aoidhedhchaire ceall Conmaicne'
AConn. Leathanach: 636, Alt: 12
1600idí
Cluain
S. Cloichar Riogh, patronus. A mbarúntacht Muinntire hEoluis;
Top. Frag. Leathanach: 66
1615
Cloone
JACAS Imleabhar: II, Leathanach: 30, Nóta: (Visitatio Regalis)
1630
Cruimther Fraoch, ó Cluain Collaing, a Muintir Eolais
20 Nollaig
FNÉ Leathanach: 342
1650c
Cruimthear Fraoch Chluana Conmhaicne
Naoimhsheanchus
LGen. Alt: 729.11
1655
Clioney[?]
<s>[nó Craigh?]<s>
DS
<s>[1667<s>
<s>Creigh<s>
ASE Leathanach: 167.14
1685
Cliony
Hib. Del.
1817
*Clewen
Larkin (Li)
1836
Cruimhthear Froech..., is still remembered here under the name Cruiher Ree
LSO Leathanach: 83/178

Please note: Some of the documentation from the archives of the Placenames Branch is available here. It indicates the range of research contributions undertaken by the Branch on this placename over the years. It may not constitute a complete record, and evidence may not be sequenced on the basis of validity. It is on this basis that this material is made available to the public.

Archival and research material provided on this site may be used, subject to acknowledgement. Issues regarding republication or other permissions or copyright should be addressed to logainm@dcu.ie.