townland
Maigh Chríodáin Thiar
genitive: Mhaigh Chríodáin Thiar
non-validated name
(Irish)
Macreddin West
(English)

Glossary

maigh, magh
English plain

Centrepoint

52.8858, -6.33053latitude, longitude
Irish Grid (with letter)
Computing...
Irish Grid (without letter)
Computing...
Irish Transverse Mercator (ITM)
Computing...

Archival records

scanned imagescanned imagescanned imagescanned image

Historical references

1280
Mochrodan
Crede Mihi
1302-6
Moocredyn
CDI
1529-34
Mothrodan
Alen's Reg.
1531
Mothrodan
Alen's Reg.
1533
Mothrodan
Rep. Vir.
1543
Moyethreadyne
COD
1604
church or chapel of ... Moycredyne and Ballykeyne
CPR
1606
Muecredin
CPR
1617
Moykredine
Inq. Lag.
1622
Moycredan
CPR
1623
Moycredin
CPR
1625
Moycredan
CPCR
1628
the borough and town of Cariesfort, in the county of Wicklow
CPCR
1628
Charter of Cariesfort ... Moycreedinshall from henceforth for ever be a free borough and corporation, ...and shall be called the borough and town of Cariesfort ;
CPCR
1628
Cariestowne ...
CPCR
1637
Carysfort
Dublin Wills
1641
Muckreddin
Dep. 1641
1641
Garriforth ... of Garri s forth
Dep. 1641
1641
Mocredin als. Caryes fort ... Mocredine als. Carys fort
Dep. 1641
1641
Carisforth
Dep. 1641
1642
Muckcredyn als. carrisfort
Dep. 1641
1655-7
McRedir
DS
1666
Moycredin
ASE
1666
the corporation of Moycredin
ASE
1667
Moytredon
ASE
1685c
Relin
Hib. Del.
1718
Moyeredin
CGn.
1731
Moycreddin als Moyerdin
CGn.
1760
Macredin, CARYS-FORT
Nevill 1760
1766c
The chief towns ... Carysfort... it was built by the Lord Dep[uty] Cary to check the outrages of the ancient inhabitants
Three 18th cent. surveys: Wicklow
1766c
Carysfort, or Macreddin. Anciently [known as] Maccrodonnell
Three 18th cent. surveys: Wicklow
1778
Carysfort Rd
T&S
1798
Carysfort
CGn.
1809
Macreddin or Carys Fort
Scale's Atlas
1820
Macreddin als. Carysfort
Bayly Papers
1825
Macreddin
TAB
1839
Macredin
"See P. 19" [dúch];
TAB Leathanach: CM007,20
1839
Macreddin West Townland
Rec. Name:AL Leathanach: CM007,20
1839
[Macreddin West]
"Macreddin Village is in the south centre in which is a Roman Catholic chapel & also a grave yard. There is also a grave yard in the south extremity" [Desc. Rem.];
Desc. Rem.:AL Leathanach: CM007,20

Please note: Some of the documentation from the archives of the Placenames Branch is available here. It indicates the range of research contributions undertaken by the Branch on this placename over the years. It may not constitute a complete record, and evidence may not be sequenced on the basis of validity. It is on this basis that this material is made available to the public.

Archival and research material provided on this site may be used, subject to acknowledgement. Issues regarding republication or other permissions or copyright should be addressed to logainm@dcu.ie.