townland
Na Cama
genitive: na gCam
(Irish)
Cams
(English)

Centrepoint

54.0973, -8.42229latitude, longitude
Irish Grid (with letter)
Computing...
Irish Grid (without letter)
Computing...
Irish Transverse Mercator (ITM)
Computing...

Archival records

scanned image

Historical references

Nóta
Nóta
Nóta
Nóta
Nóta
Nóta
1617
Carrowentample and Knockrawernagam
CPR
1655–7
The 2 qr. of Chanals. Carrowgam and Carrowtemple
DS
1660c
Carrownagon [leg. Carrownagom]
BSD
1665c
Cama
HMR
1685c
Carogam
Hib. Del.
1749
Cams
Cen. of Elphin
1758
Camms
CGn.
1819
Cams
Larkin (Sl)
1824
Cambs
TAB
1836
Cams
BS:AL Leathanach: Sl047,4
1836
Cams
Larkin Map:AL Leathanach: Sl047,4
1836
na Cama, 'the windings'
OD:AL Leathanach: Sl047,4
1836
Cams
OD:AL Leathanach: Sl047,4
1836
[Cams]
"there are four ancient forts in this townland. The most southern is called Lisahullioin Fort on which stands a trigonometrical station (called Cams) ... another in the S.W. side called Partenalough Fort. Another in the N. side called Tawnageehy Fort. Also two springs, one called Tubber na Gollagh, the other Tubber [.......]" [Desc. Rem.];
Desc. Rem.:AL Leathanach: Sl047,4
1836
Cams
Larkin (Sl):AL
1938
Na Cama
Elphin PN

Please note: Some of the documentation from the archives of the Placenames Branch is available here. It indicates the range of research contributions undertaken by the Branch on this placename over the years. It may not constitute a complete record, and evidence may not be sequenced on the basis of validity. It is on this basis that this material is made available to the public.

Archival and research material provided on this site may be used, subject to acknowledgement. Issues regarding republication or other permissions or copyright should be addressed to logainm@dcu.ie.