Pinkman: "Druim-dhá-ethiar (nó eithiar). Ridge of the two demons. O’Donovan states that some local people would explain the name as Druin-átha-shíar, ridge of the western ford. There were a great number of fords on the River Bonet, and this one at Drumahaire was the most western of the lot. But the cold fact is that the Four Masters, on more than one occasion, write the name Druim-dhá-ethiar, which O’Donovan glosses with dorsum duorum daemonum. “The son of O’Rourke…heir to the Lordship of Breifney was treacherously slain by the son of Dermot-na-ngamhnach at Druim-dhá-ethiar.” Four Masters, AD 1440. “A hosting was made by O’Donnell and O’Neill. They burned O’Rourke’s town, Druim-dhá-ethiar.” Four Masters, AD 1458 “Thomas Mac Brady, Bishop ane Erenagh of the two Breifneys during a period of 30 years, the only dignitary whom the English and Irish obeyed – a paragon of wisdom an piety, a luminous lamp, a faithful shepherd of the church, gave up his spirit at Druim-dhá-ethiar.” Four Masters
Please note: Some of the documentation from the archives of the Placenames Branch is available here. It indicates the range of research contributions undertaken by the Branch on this placename over the years. It may not constitute a complete record, and evidence may not be sequenced on the basis of validity. It is on this basis that this material is made available to the public.
Archival and research material provided on this site may be used, subject to acknowledgement. Issues regarding republication or other permissions or copyright should be addressed to email@example.com.
Application programming interface (API)
https://www.logainm.ie/api/v1.0/1166041 (API key required)